UPDATE: Force 7 gales have forced the activists down from the rig and to safety. But the campaign continues - stay tuned.
It's the only rig on the planet that is destined to begin new deep sea drilling in the Arctic this year.
Cairn Energy's Leiv Eiriksson is on its way to Baffin Bay, Greenland, leading the new oil rush.
This morning at 5.40 local time, a handful of our volunteers intercepted the rig shortly after it left Besiktas near Istanbul in Turkey.
For Cairn's boss Bill Gammell, Arctic drilling's a game. A gamble. He said a few weeks ago that drilling in the Arctic was "like going to the casino".
That's nothing short of outrageous.
While our activists are occupying Bill Gammell's rig, you can really help by spreading the word. Full details below the live feed.
What's at stake. We need to protect the Arctic
How you can help
With most of the UK busy enjoying two long weekends and a royal wedding, Bill Gammell is hoping his Arctic drilling plans will pass silently by.
We can't let that happen.
Here's whole bunch of things you can do (from bloggers to holidaymakers) to help build the momentum we need to keep the Arctic off limits to oil drillers like BP and Cairn Energy.
If you're on Facebook:
- Share pictures from the action with your friends
- Share our Arctic pictures with your friends
- Get on to our Facebook page and join the discussion. Tell us what you think we should be doing
If you're on Twitter:
- We'll be posting using #arctic as a hashtag for the moment.
- Let people know what you think, let us know what you think (we're on @greenpeaceuk), get vocal and passionate
If you have a website/blog:
- Embed our live coverage of the Arctic action on your website. Copy and paste this code into your page:
- <iframe src='http://embed.scribblelive.com/Embed/v5.aspx?Id=24167&ThemeId=1899' width='600' height='800' frameborder='0' style='border: 1px solid #000'></iframe>
- Post the action pictures
- Post our Arctic pictures
- Write about what's going on, make sure your readers know how you feel
- Ask us questions. you can always drop us a tweet with any questions on @greenpeaceuk and we'll get back to you as soon as we can
- If you don't blog, why not set one up? Wordpress, Blogger and Tumblr are easy options.
- Let us know what you're up to. if you do write/post anything tweet us and we'll point other people to your site
And finally, If you're on holiday:
Talk about it. Tell the person sitting next to you on the train. Or the person selling you ice-cream. Or the barman pulling you a pint.
Whoever it is, let them know how you feel - Arctic drilling is an outrage, and it has to stop.
More information on Cairn and Arctic drilling:
- Briefing about Cairn Energy (pdf)
- Briefing about the dangers of Arctic drilling (pdf)
- Place your bets in the Arctic casino! (blog)
- Arctic oil - even the money men can't do the maths (blog)
- Who's going to defend the Arctic? (blog)
- 2011 - The Arctic vs Big Oil (blog)
- Arctic Anxiety - BP, British foreign policy and the rush for polar oil. Report with Platform London (pdf)